Montclair State University Galleries offers student and artist-focused programming through exhibitions, public programs, and interdisciplinary experiences.
- Learn to connect their academic experience to personal experiences and art on view
- Educate visitors about the exhibitions presented by University Galleries
- Contribute their ideas to reflect today's Montclair State student community
- Activate the gallery spaces to teach how to engage with the art
- Apply the skills they learn in their majors and minors to the operations of a cultural institution
- Collaborate with Galleries' student and professional staff to create unique opportunities
- Bring new and innovative ways of thinking to the campus community
- Stretch their practice by making new work for exhibitions
- Participate in classes, programs and experiences focused on the campus community
Montclair State University serves more than 20,000 undergraduate and graduate students, the University Galleries partners with academic programs, campus centers, clubs, and departments, as well as many community organizations. Our inclusive programming brings the visual arts to all members of the community together.
Thank you for supporting Montclair State University Galleries’ initiatives!
The Montclair State University Galleries brings together ideas, perspectives, and dialogues to foster curiosity and shared understandings through art. The University Galleries presents diverse and inclusive exhibitions and programs creating connections that unite the campus experience with the local and global community.
- Build a strong reputation in academia and the art world – facilitating interactions between artists, scholars, curators, and the community, introducing artists from around the world to new audiences, and generating original work and scholarship in the field.
- Enhance interdisciplinary teaching through art: Grow object-based and experiential learning programs. Through collaboration with academic departments, centers, and programs we can use the presentation of art as a jumping-off place for discourse and dialogue across a range of disciplines.
- Cultivate Student Engagement: Students are the heart of the university and they should be integrated into all gallery operations including exhibition development, design, collections work, programs, events, and educational outreach.
- Art accessibility for the community: The University Galleries is an extension of visual arts teaching and learning across campus and beyond the walls of the Segal Gallery, its primary exhibition space. Enhancing a digital presence through virtual tours, video and audio content, collection digitization, upgraded facilities, and accessible space for permanent collections.